Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hideki's Corvette "the Gurren"

Well folks, the next car up to bat is my shutokou racing inspired '90 Corvette 6-speed, nicknamed "the Gurren". Hideki's Pops bought the Gurren way back when it was new. It was your average everyday Z51 coupe, which did mean however, it had some serious hardware from the factory. Bilstein dampers, stiffer monosprings, bigger sway bars, an engine oil cooler, and a bunch other goodies. Including the J55 factory big brake package. But what makes the Gurren, the Gurren. Is shortly after it was purchased it was driven to Unser Engines in Santa Ana CA, where a bespoke twin turbo kit was built for it. When I was a kid I'd look at that car and say "the more I see it, the more I wanna be in that body!" this thing was just that cool back in the day, and freakin fast. But all good things come to an end, I remember also as a kid the Gurren being brought home on the back of a flatbed. The factory L98 5.7 liter V8 couldn't handle the force placed on it from two Garrett M24 turbochargers, and gave out. Hideki's pops put the car on the side of the house to never be seen again.

Years later, Hideki is about 18 years of age and mounts a rescue operation for the old Gurren. I caught wind of a plan for my pops to finally dispose of the old beast, junked. Together with help from his team mates Hideki frees the battered old Gurren in the middle of the night, and transports it secretly to his workshop many miles away. My pops wasn't mad at all, in fact he was grateful and signed over the car to me. This awesome machine now belonged to me.

But don't think for a minute the machine you see today was ANYTHING similar to what was rescued from my pops collection. The Gurren was originally white, and wore the same "narrow molding" body panels any '90 coupe wears. I updated the Gurren with '94 "wide molding" bumpers, painted it red, and yanked out the destroyed L98 and installed a fresh one. Of course, that meant the twin turbo kit had to go (for now) I still have all the components neatly organized in the workshop, awaiting a time I can reunite them to the car that fascinated me decades ago.

The Gurren 100% OEM after getting painted red

What makes the Gurren such a gnarly beast, twin Garrett M24 turbos

At this point the car is mostly OEM with a 2" lowering kit

Modifications?
Progress has always been slow for the Gurren, it's one of those treasured machines you don't really want to mess with, even though in the pit of your stomach you know you have to. It's odd though, a machine as a kid I pined over, positively drooled over. And now, I can slide behind the steering wheel and pilot it with rutheless disregard, all the while with a big grin on my face. Here is a list of stuff I've done to the car.

Under the Hood
*I cut the factory airbox open and put a K&N filter inside
*Accel ignition coil, and spark plugs
*HKS 2" exhaust, yes I said HKS more on that later

Rollin' Goin' & Stoppin'
*Lowered 2" front and rear
*Period correct ARE meshies 17x9.5" front and rear
*BFgoodrich g-Force tires (stretched to achieve my desired look)
*1.5" wheel spacer to achieve my desired look
You can see how close that tire lines up to the plastic fender










Anyone who knows anything about the C4 Corvette will recognize that unattainable Callaway front bumper chillin' in my garage!!!

1 comment: